The cloister was founded in the 9th century and is currently run by the Klosterkammer Hannover. In the 17th century a spacious church was built on the premises and the crypt underneath was decorated with wall paintings in 1926/27 by the artist Alfred Ehrhardt. He is known today mainly as film and photo artist – his estate is curated by a foundation in Berlin.
The expressinistic paintings were overpainted by the Nazis and forgotten for decades. In 2010 the images which were mostly in very bad condition were partly restored. In this context a new lighting concept was developed and installed. The crypt is also used by the local parish for religious services and therefore a flexible lighting management system based on DALI had to be implemented to allow various lighting scenes.